Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coffee Shortbread


I thought I would make another type of cookie that involved coffee. So I decided to make coffee shortbread. This recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies and takes about forty five minutes to make. Unfortunately these cookies didn’t stay soft after they cooled, but they didn’t get too hard either. The brown sugar and butter helped keep them a little soft. I was glad I made this recipe because I was able to use some of my cookie cutters that I haven’t used yet and I’ve been waiting to get a chance to use them.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
½ cup semisweet chocolate chip, melted
½ cup vanilla or white chips, melted

Directions
•In a mixing bowl, cream sugars and coffee granules.
•Gradually beat in flour and salt.
•On a lightly floured surface, roll out to ¼ in. thickness. Cut with floured 2 in. to 3 in. cookie cutters.
•Place cookies 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
•Bake at 300 degrees for 20 – 22 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
•Drizzle melted chips.