Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chocolate pretzels…sort of


Well you’ve probably noticed that the picture above does not match with the title for these cookies. Well, usually any problems that I encounter while baking cookies are missing a certain ingredient, forgetting an ingredient in the recipe, or trying to figure out a good way to put frosting or other toppings on the cookies. But I have never had a whole recipe go completely wrong and have no idea what happened. I have gone over this recipe like a million times, trying to figure out what I did wrong, but I can’t find anything. First, the texture of the dough came out all wrong. Every time I tried to roll out the dough to make the pretzels, it would just fall apart. So after about ten minutes of retrying, I gave up and just decided to make cut out cookies instead. And there was my second problem. I was able to roll out the dough with no problem and place the cookie cutters down, but when I went to take the shaped dough off and put it on the baking sheet, they would just fall apart. I made about twenty or thirty shaped pieces of dough and got only eight cookies on the baking tray in one piece. The rest would just fall apart when I tried to pick them up, so I had to finally give up on this recipe. I still can’t figure out what went so wrong in this recipe, but because it’s bothering me so much that I can’t figure out why I can’t make these pretzels I’ll probably retry this recipe again one day, or until I can get it right.